Arnoldichthys spilopterus, commonly known as the African Red Eye Tetra or Red Eye Characin, is a beautiful species of freshwater fish native to Africa. Here’s a summarized bullet point list of care tips for Arnoldichthys spilopterus:
– Tank size: A minimum of 40 gallons is suitable for a small group (6-8) of African Red Eye Tetras.
– Filtration: Use a good quality filter to maintain water quality and provide gentle water flow.
– Water parameters: Temperature 72-82°F (22-28°C), pH 6.0-7.5, hardness 2-15 dGH.
– Substrate: Use fine gravel or sand to mimic their natural environment.
– African Red Eye Tetras are omnivores with a preference for small live or frozen foods.
– Offer a varied diet that includes high-quality flakes, pellets, and supplement with live or frozen foods like brine shrimp, daphnia, and bloodworms.
– They are generally peaceful and can be kept with other small, non-aggressive fish.
– Avoid keeping them with larger or aggressive species that may stress them.
Decor and Environment:
– Provide plenty of plants, floating vegetation, and open swimming spaces.
– Use driftwood and rocks to create natural hiding spots and simulate their natural habitat.
– Perform regular water changes (20-25% weekly) to maintain water quality and remove waste.
– Keep the water well-filtered and ensure good water circulation.
– African Red Eye Tetras are shoaling fish, so keep them in groups of at least 6-8 individuals to reduce stress and encourage natural behavior.
– They are known for their striking red eyes, which add to their allure.
– Monitor water parameters regularly using test kits to ensure optimal conditions.
– Quarantine new fish before introducing them to the main tank to prevent disease transmission.
– Breeding African Red Eye Tetras in captivity can be challenging but rewarding.
– Provide a separate breeding tank with soft, slightly acidic water and fine-leaved plants for potential spawning.
Observation and Enjoyment:
– Spend time observing and enjoying the natural beauty and behavior of African Red Eye Tetras.
– Create a peaceful and well-maintained environment to enhance their vibrant colors and showcase their active nature.
By following these care guidelines, you can provide a suitable and thriving aquarium for Arnoldichthys spilopterus, allowing them to display their best colors and behaviors, and ensuring a healthy and enjoyable life in captivity.