Paracheirodon axelrodi, commonly known as the Cardinal Tetra, is a beautiful and popular freshwater fish species originating from South America. Here’s a summarized bullet point list of care tips for Paracheirodon axelrodi:
– Tank size: A minimum of 10 gallons is suitable for a small group (6-8) of Cardinal Tetras.
– Filtration: Use a reliable filter to maintain water quality and provide gentle water flow.
– Water parameters: Temperature 72-82°F (22-28°C), pH 5.0-7.0, hardness 1-5 dGH.
– Substrate: Use fine gravel or sand to mimic their natural environment.
– Cardinal Tetras are omnivores with a preference for small live or frozen foods.
– Offer a varied diet that includes high-quality flakes, pellets, and supplement with live or frozen foods like brine shrimp, daphnia, and bloodworms.
– They are generally peaceful and can be kept with other small, non-aggressive fish.
– Avoid keeping them with larger or aggressive species that may stress or prey on them.
Decor and Environment:
– Provide plenty of plants, floating vegetation, and open swimming spaces.
– Use driftwood and rocks to create natural hiding spots and simulate their natural habitat.
– Dim lighting can enhance their colors and reduce stress.
– Perform regular water changes (20-25% weekly) to maintain water quality and remove waste.
– Keep the water well-filtered and ensure good water circulation.
– Cardinal Tetras are shoaling fish, so keep them in groups of at least 6-8 individuals to reduce stress and encourage natural behavior.
– They are known for their striking red and blue colors, with a distinctive horizontal stripe along the body.
– Monitor water parameters regularly using test kits to ensure optimal conditions.
– Quarantine new fish before introducing them to the main tank to prevent disease transmission.
– Breeding Cardinal Tetras in captivity is challenging but possible with proper care and conditions.
– Provide a separate breeding tank with soft, slightly acidic water and fine-leaved plants for potential spawning.
– Use marbles or a spawning mesh to protect the eggs from the adults.
Observation and Enjoyment:
– Spend time observing and enjoying the natural beauty and behavior of Cardinal Tetras.
– Create a peaceful and well-maintained environment to enhance their vibrant colors and showcase their active nature.
The maximum size for the Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi) is around 1.5 inches (3.8 centimeters) in length. They are small and delicate fish, which makes them suitable for smaller aquariums and community setups with other peaceful fish.
By keeping their maximum size in mind, you can plan a suitable and thriving aquarium for the Cardinal Tetras and provide them with an environment where they can display their best colors and behaviors, ensuring a healthy and enjoyable life in captivity.