Nannostomus mortenthaleri, commonly known as the “Coral Red Pencilfish” or “Red Arc Pencilfish,” is a peaceful and captivating freshwater fish species native to South America. Here’s a summarized bullet point list of care tips for Nannostomus mortenthaleri, including its maximum size:
– Tank size: A minimum of 10 gallons is suitable for a small group (6-8) of Red Arc Pencilfish.
– Filtration: Use a reliable filter to maintain water quality and provide gentle water flow.
– Water parameters: Temperature 72-82°F (22-28°C), pH 5.5-7.5, hardness 2-10 dGH.
– Substrate: Use fine gravel or sand as the substrate.
– Red Arc Pencilfish are omnivores and will accept a variety of foods.
– Offer high-quality flakes or pellets as the staple diet.
– Supplement their diet with small live or frozen foods like daphnia, brine shrimp, and micro worms.
– They are peaceful and can be kept with other small, peaceful fish.
– Avoid keeping them with large or aggressive species that may stress or prey on them.
Decor and Environment:
– Provide plenty of plants, floating vegetation, and open swimming spaces.
– Use driftwood and leaf litter to simulate their natural habitat.
– Dim lighting can help enhance their colors and reduce stress.
– Perform regular water changes (20-25% weekly) to maintain water quality and remove waste.
– Keep the water well-filtered to ensure good water circulation.
– Red Arc Pencilfish are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 6-8 individuals.
– They are peaceful and display interesting schooling behavior.
– Monitor water parameters regularly using test kits to ensure optimal conditions.
– Quarantine new fish before introducing them to the main tank to prevent disease transmission.
– Breeding Red Arc Pencilfish in captivity is possible with proper care and conditions.
– Provide a separate breeding tank with soft, slightly acidic water and fine-leaved plants for potential spawning.
Observation and Enjoyment:
– Spend time observing and enjoying the natural beauty and behavior of Red Arc Pencilfish.
– Create a peaceful and well-maintained environment to ensure their well-being.
– The maximum size for Nannostomus mortenthaleri (Red Arc Pencilfish) is around 1.5 inches (3.8 centimeters) in length.
By keeping their maximum size in mind, you can plan a suitable and thriving aquarium for Red Arc Pencilfish and provide them with an environment where they can display their best colors and behaviors, ensuring a healthy and enjoyable life in captivity.