Ctenolucius hujeta, commonly known as the “Rocket Gar,” is a predatory and active freshwater fish species native to South America. Here’s a summarized care sheet for Ctenolucius hujeta:
– The maximum size for Ctenolucius hujeta (Rocket Gar) is around 12-14 inches (30-35 centimeters) in length.
– Rocket Gars are predatory fish and should be kept in a species-only aquarium due to their aggressive nature towards smaller tankmates.
– As juveniles they do shoal and need a group to feel comfortable (3-4 individuals).
– They are active and fast swimmers, requiring ample swimming space in the aquarium.
– Tank size: A minimum of 75 gallons is recommended for a single Rocket Gars.
– Filtration: Use a powerful and efficient filter to maintain water quality and provide strong water circulation.
– Water parameters: Temperature 72-82°F (22-28°C), pH 6.0-7.5, hardness 2-15 dGH.
– Substrate: Use sand or fine gravel as the substrate.
– Rocket Gars are carnivorous and predominantly eat small fish in the wild.
– Offer a varied diet that includes high-quality pellets, frozen or live fish, shrimp, and other meaty foods.
– Rocket Gars are aggressive and territorial, particularly towards smaller fish.
– Avoid keeping them with peaceful or small tankmates, as they may be seen as prey.
Decor and Environment:
– Provide plenty of open swimming space for the Rocket Gars to move around freely.
– Use rocks, driftwood, and other hiding spots to create a natural-looking environment.
– Ensure a tightly fitted lid or cover for the aquarium, as Rocket Gars are excellent jumpers.
– Perform regular water changes (20-25% weekly) to maintain water quality and remove waste.
– Monitor water parameters frequently to ensure they are within the recommended range.
– Rocket Gars are active and have a distinctive hunting behavior.
– They are known for their ability to jump out of the water to catch prey, so take precautions with a secure aquarium cover.
– Quarantine new fish before introducing them to the main tank to prevent disease transmission.
– Observe for any signs of illness or stress and address issues promptly.
Observation and Enjoyment:
– Spend time observing and enjoying the unique behavior and powerful movements of Rocket Gars.
– Create a suitable and safe environment for the fish to express their natural instincts.
By providing the appropriate tank size and meeting the specific care requirements, you can create a suitable and healthy environment for Rocket Gars, ensuring they thrive and display their best behavior in captivity.