Champsochromis spilorhynchus is an impressive and striking species of cichlid found in Lake Malawi, Africa. To ensure the well-being of these captivating fish in your aquarium, follow these summarized care guidelines:
– **Tank Size:** Provide a large tank of at least 125 gallons (473 liters) for a small group of 4-6 individuals.
– **Tank Setup:** Use fine sand as substrate and include rocky formations to mimic their natural habitat and create caves for hiding and territory.
– **Water Parameters:**
– Temperature: 74°F to 80°F (23°C to 27°C).
– pH Level: Slightly alkaline to neutral, ideally between 7.6 to 8.6.
– Water Hardness: Moderately hard to hard water, between 10 to 20 dH.
– **Filtration:** Use a powerful filter to maintain excellent water quality and prevent waste buildup.
– C. spilorhynchus is a carnivorous predator and primarily feeds on smaller fish in the wild.
– Provide a varied diet of high-quality cichlid pellets or flakes as their staple food.
– Supplement their diet with occasional live or frozen foods like krill, fish, and other protein-rich items.
– C. spilorhynchus can be aggressive, especially during breeding and territorial disputes.
– Suitable tankmates include larger, robust Malawi cichlids with similar temperaments.
– Avoid keeping them with smaller or more passive fish to prevent stress and potential harm.
– **Behavior and Social Structure:**
– Maintain a small group of 4 or more individuals to distribute aggression and reduce stress on single fish.
– Males may display vibrant colors and territorial behavior during courtship and breeding.
– **Health and Disease:**
– Regularly observe their behavior and appetite to spot any signs of illness.
– Quarantine new fish before adding them to the main tank to prevent disease transmission.
– Keep the water clean and stable to promote overall health and immunity.
– Breeding can be challenging in captivity due to their specific requirements.
– Provide ample space, appropriate hiding spots, and pristine water conditions to encourage breeding behavior.
By providing a spacious and well-maintained environment that resembles their natural habitat and attending to their specific care needs, Champsochromis spilorhynchus will thrive and exhibit their majestic colors and fascinating behaviors, making them a prized and awe-inspiring addition to your aquarium.