Barbonymus altus, Tinfoil Barb:
– Grows to a maximum size of about 8.5 inches (21 cm).
– Suitable for larger tanks of 100 gallons or more.
– Provide ample open swimming space and hiding spots.
– Temperature: 68°F – 81°F (20°C – 27°C).
– pH: 6.0 – 7.5.
– Hardness: Soft to moderately hard water.
– Use larger tanks with driftwood, rocks, and caves for hiding.
– Prefer open swimming areas to mimic natural habitat.
– Omnivorous diet; offer a mix of high-quality pellets, live/frozen foods, and vegetables.
**Behavior and Compatibility:**
– Generally peaceful as juveniles, but can become territorial as adults.
– Avoid keeping with smaller or more timid tankmates.
– Perform regular 20-30% water changes to maintain water quality.
– Monitor water parameters and ensure stability.
– Provide ample space to accommodate their potential size.
– Be cautious with tankmates and monitor aggression.
– Create a varied diet to support their health.
Please note that while these care guidelines offer a general overview, individual fish may have their own behaviors and preferences. Continuous observation and adjustments to care are important for the well-being of your Tinfoil Barbs (Barbonymus altus).