Axelrodia riesei, commonly known as the “Ruby Tetra”, is a peaceful and vibrant freshwater fish species native to South America. Here’s a summarized bullet point list of care tips for Axelrodia riesei, including its maximum size:
– Tank size: A minimum of 20 gallons is suitable for a small group (6-8) of Ruby Tetras.
– Filtration: Use a reliable filter to maintain water quality and provide gentle water flow.
– Water parameters: Temperature 72-82°F (22-28°C), pH 6.0-7.5, hardness 2-15 dGH.
– Substrate: Use fine gravel or sand as the substrate.
– Ruby Tetras are omnivores and will accept a variety of foods.
– Offer high-quality flakes or pellets as the staple diet.
– Supplement their diet with live or frozen foods like brine shrimp, daphnia, and bloodworms.
– They are generally peaceful and can be kept with other small to medium-sized, non-aggressive fish.
– Avoid keeping them with larger or aggressive species that may stress or prey on them.
Decor and Environment:
– Provide plenty of plants, floating vegetation, and open swimming spaces.
– Use driftwood and rocks to create natural hiding spots and simulate their natural habitat.
– Dim lighting can enhance their colors and reduce stress.
– Perform regular water changes (20-25% weekly) to maintain water quality and remove waste.
– Keep the water well-filtered to ensure good water circulation.
– Ruby Tetras are active and enjoy swimming throughout the tank.
– They are schooling fish, so it’s best to keep them in groups of at least 6-8 individuals to reduce stress and encourage natural behavior.
– Monitor water parameters regularly using test kits to ensure optimal conditions.
– Quarantine new fish before introducing them to the main tank to prevent disease transmission.
– Breeding Ruby Tetras in captivity is possible with proper care and conditions.
– Provide a separate breeding tank with soft, slightly acidic water and fine-leaved plants for potential spawning.
Observation and Enjoyment:
– Spend time observing and enjoying the natural beauty and behavior of Ruby Tetras.
– Create a peaceful and well-maintained environment to ensure their well-being.
– The maximum size for Axelrodia riesei (Ruby Tetra) is around 1.5 inches (3.8 centimeters) in length.
By keeping their maximum size in mind, you can plan a suitable and thriving aquarium for Ruby Tetras and provide them with an environment where they can display their best colors and behaviors, ensuring a healthy and enjoyable life in captivity.